You will have to undergo some testing before Dr. Siegal can officially determine whether or not you are suffering from SI Joint Dysfunction .
Testing For SI Joint Dysfunction
What will SI Joint Testing Include?
- Discussion of your history and pain experience
- A physical exam
- Testing to rule out other types of pain such as hip or lumbar spine pain
Some Commonly Accepted Testing Methods
- Provocative Tests - these tests are used to manipulate your joints and feel for tenderness. These tests include:
- Thigh Thrust
Your doctor will apply pressure to your knees, hips, and other areas in five different positions in order to find out which positions cause discomfort.
- Diagnostic Imaging - tests such as X-rays, a CT Scan, and MRI will be helpful when Dr. Siegal is trying to determine if your pain is SI Joint related.
- Diagnostic Injections of the SI Joint - a small amount of a numbing medicine is injected into the SI Joint. If this injection results in more than 50% pain relief for an hour or two after the injection it is considered a positive injection. A positive injection means that your SI Joint is most likely causing your pain.
This is the most widely used test for accurately determining if the pain you are suffering from is caused by your SI Joint.
After testing, Dr. Siegal will discuss the best SI Join pain relief treatment options available.
In order to avoid a misdiagnosis you should be seen by a doctor who is trained in SI Joint Pain Diagnosis, like Dr. Siegal.